Frequently Asked Questions

Information Banner
Recent changes to Florida's Personal Injury Protection law may affect your benefits. Please review the most frequently asked questions below.

  • Q: I was recently in a car accident, how do I get my bills paid?
  • A: You should first contact your car insurance carrier. In Florida, drivers are required to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance which pays a percentage of your lost wages and medical bills in the event you are injured in a car accident.
  • Q: How long do I have to see a doctor to be eligible for Personal Injury Protection under my insurance?
  • A: In order to be eligible for PIP benefits you must receive a finding by a medical doctor, doctor of osteopathic medicine, dentist, physicians assistant or registered nurse practitioner, that you have an Emergency Medical Condition within fourteen (14) days of your accident. If no treatment is recieved by you within 14 days, you may be denied benefits.
  • Q: What if there is no finding of "Emergency Medical Condition?"
  • A: If there is no determination of an Emergency Medical Condition, your benefits will be limited to $2,500.00.
  • Q: If my medical bills and lost wages are higher than my PIP insurance, can I sue the other driver?
  • A: In Florida, you must have a permanent injury to sue the negligent driver. If your doctor says you have a permanent impairment, you may sue the other driver.
  • Q: I was told that the other driver did not have insurance, what can I do?
  • A: If you have under insured or uninsured motorist (UM) coverage and your damages are not covered by your PIP insurance, and you suffered a permanent impairment, you may be able to recover from your UM insurance.

  • It is important to seek legal represenation quickly, in order to preserve your claim. If you would like a risk-free, no pressure consultation, call me now at (904) 619-9281. If you would like to schedule an appointment, contact me today for an in-office consultation. You can send me a brief summary of the facts of your case and a date and time that works best for you. I will either call you with a date and time or send you an e-mail containing an appointment confirmation, whichever you choose.